Thursday, December 11, 2008

Christmas present for Grandpa


This is a portrait of my beautiful grandmother as gift to my grandpa. I am really pleased with how this came out overall. It was really fun to do this with all my grandma's pretty freckles (even though they are a pain to paint) . However, I did make a lot of rookie mistakes with this.

I had been doing a lot of ink washes so I was really digging them and decided to do a brown ink wash for the background of this portrait, however I did the background before even thinking about my colors. Giving a fair skinned red head a dark over bearing brown background was not a good idea and because I did it ink I could not go back and take it up. My boyfriend suggested adding green on top of it to balance it out, in THEORY this sounded like a good idea, but once again I didn't think of my colors.
Brown splotches + green splotches = CAMO

So, after that I went back with white ink and rewashed all over it trying to eliminate the darkness and the green. Success! After all was said and done the background actually looked nice.

I think my grandpa will really love this :-)

EDIT : I just wanted to add that the colors came out very muggy in the scan, but in real life the colors are much more clean and vibrant.

1 comment:

Tracy "Tito" Lynn MacLauchlan said...

Totally awesome, girl. This is beautiful! Like I said in your last post, you've really improved. I am glad you sort of a "happy accident" with the BG and all, because I do think it looks nice. Your Grandpa's definitely going to like it!