Saturday, December 6, 2008

Christmas Portraits



This is the final product of my Christmas present for my brother and his lady. Originally, I painted this in color but ended up not liking it and stuck with the ink wash idea. Overall I am really pleased of how it turned out, it looks exactly like them. However, the scanned just completely killed the coloring which is upsetting because in person their is much contrast in the shadows and it looks nice but on the computer it's just flat. I still have a few more portraits I need to get done before I go home.

I am also thinking of posting this on my DA account so I can try to get some commissions for portraits but I doubt I will get any because I don't have too many watchers on DA. I am not a vain artist, and I know I am not the best, I still have a lot of learning to do but it really ticks me off that there are SOOOOO many artists on DA who get hundreds of commissions and don't know the first thing about anatomy and don't care to, while the people who try their hardest don't get anything. Maybe if start drawing everything with size triple F breasts, I will get it a break.

1 comment:

Tracy "Tito" Lynn MacLauchlan said...

Hey Whit! This looks totally sweet! I don't know your brother's GF, but I can honestly say that looks like your brother in your style! XD even the expression, haha. I also love the coloring style here, and the inking is gorgeous! It all looks so nice, I really hope to see more of stuff in a similar style ot this.

As for commissions, you need to do the following:
- Set up a journal with links to examples of what you can do and your prices and rules, etc. etc.
- go to the DA forum and post that same information in a new thread in the "job services" forum
- "bump" this forum periodically by posting worthless replies (like "bump" or something) just so it'll stay at the top of the forum so people see it.
- snoop around the "job offers" thread and pounce on anything that sounds goods to you.
- advertise yourself like crazy

It still won't get you as much job offers as...well...you know...drawing certain weird things, but it's the only way I can think of to get attention and job offers :).

I've been thinking about doing commissions as well, but I'm just not sure. But that's essentially my attack plan should I ever do it, because that seems to be how most people go about commissions on DA.